Hello Everyone,
In addition to your entries on cheating (and thanks to those who've already posted!), I'd like you to reflect in some depth on the media project.
What have you learned about the news and how it's told? What surprised you in your own research or in others' presentations? Be specific in supporting your answers.
Also, argue (to your peers) how important (or not) it is to follow the news and be critical of its sources. Again, use specific illustrations to support your argument.
Entries should be a least a page long and may include responses to others.
Tim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What have you learned about the news and how it's told? What surprised you in your own research or in others' presentations? Be specific in supporting your answers.Also, argue (to your peers) how important (or not) it is to follow the news and be critical of its sources. Again, use specific illustrations to support your argument.Entries should be a least a page long and may include responses to others.
I have discovered after doing this media presentation project that newscasters and even sometimes news stations themselves are actually more biased than I thought. When we think of the news, we would expect unbiased views that allow us to gain as much information as possible. I always knew that little details may differ from different sources but the story in general would be accurately told. However after doing this presentation I have learned how different sources can subconsciously influence your own thought processes. My group's project was done on the pregnant man and it was interesting to see how the CNN tried to portray it as a joke while Oprah was sympathetic to his whole life story. From details of the story to listening to a person's tone of voice, we got a sense of what that person thought of the story itself. I have also learned that news itself is sometimes edited to make it sound more interesting that it really is. For example when newspapers have major stories and have extreme titles that catch your eye. Then you read the story and it's actually horribly boring. In the same way, television news will give you brief commercials where they give you quick headliners of stories that are going to be told that sound really interesting. And when you finally watch the story, it's actually something not so fantastic. Overall news can be deceptive and a lot of the time we succumb to this deception out of curiosity. One thing I have learned is that news should be gathered from a variety of sources to improve accuracy of the story.
The media project made me want to be more active in the news because many of the issues we had discussed in class I had harly any knowledge of. I first felt as if I was a bad citizen because I had no knowledge of the issues at hand , but then I had realized many of you had harly if any knowledge as well.
The news can be exaggerated or be under told depending on whom the news source is. I believe that many news sources chose the stories that interest them and tell it in favor of them.It seems that they inform you about the issue but also the way they think the story happenned or how it should ave happenned. It is very important though to keep up on the news so you have some knowledge of what may be going on in the world. Dont just watch, read or listen from one source. Having many different viewpoints may keep you informed on every detail.
Post a Comment