Monday, April 21, 2008

Media Project

Before coming to CSM I didn't even bother opening a news paper, or changing the channel to CNN or Fox News because I thought what was happening outside of my life was not important or interesting to me. Now that I am more concerned in the well being of others around the world, and fascinated in reading and also learning about the events that impact other people's lives, i've started to distinguish the ways that I'm being being told the story by different news sources.

I've realize that some news sources are leaned to the left (liberal), the right (more conservative), or some like the New York times are objective and tell you the story without opinioins and at all angles. Many times some news sources want us to see a story in a certain way whether it's supporting or going against different political views, ideas, or actions. The media has control on how we view and understand things, so in order to get the whole truth i need to view a story from more than just one news source in order to get many different angles so I can visualize one clear picture.
When researching articles on the presidential campaign i saw a clear distinction on how some news sources favored Hilary Clinton and how some like The Wall Street Journal were against her, and at times tried to make her seem smaller than the other candidates. In seeing how biased some news sources can be i am now more conscious and aware in how i absorb information from the media, and i highly advise everyone to do so the same because not everything is how it appears.

No comments: