Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Response to blog

Do teens really have control over what is cool? Do you, after all of our discussion in class, accept the main argument of Merchants of Cool that corporate interests have hijacked teen culture in order to exploit teens, their labor, and their parents' labor?

I believe that teens do have control over what is cool, because we are the ones that make cool. We all have different ideas and points of view and that is why there is stores and trend for each type of person. I think that Merchants of cool just want to be as cool as teens are, i dont think that they are hijacking the teen culture when they want to know more about it and come up with articles of clothing or articles of interest that are later sold to us. I do believe that is not ok for coorporations to make up their own trends and try to introduce them as cool to teens because that would be a lie that teens dont really believe in and a trend that teens are not really following. I think that for teens to not get caught in these fake trends, they should just be themselves and use what is being provided by the market and by these coorporations to create their own style and be themselves.

No comments: